compensation: DOE employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
We believe strongly, as many do, that the United States Air Force Academy (“USAFA”) is a vital national resource -- one that is deserving of our emotional and financial support. Increasingly, though, the resources available to the service academies, like all public institutions, are inadequate to keep pace with the requirements of a modern university of exemplary quality. No longer can the Academy depend solely on public funding to attract the best minds and provide the best educational experience. The Air Force Academy, like all other great public universities, now requires significant private support to maintain its status as an elite institution.
This is why graduates, parents, and friends of the Air Force Academy are standing up to do what they can to ensure the Academy has the resources it needs to excel. All staff members of the USAFA Endowment work to make the act of giving to the Academy as personally fulfilling and efficient as possible for every donor as part of our commitment to our donors.
The core values of the United States Air Force and the Academy – integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do – are a commitment each employee makes when joining the USAFA Endowment team.
Summary of Responsibilities
The USAFA Endowment, in support of the Academy, seeks a committed professional for the position of Senior Accountant. Reporting to the Endowment’s Chief Financial Officer, the Senior Accountant is responsible for all of the day-to-day accounting and finance activities and efforts, including, but not limited to:
• Monthly and annual financial reporting
• General ledger accounting, including journal entries and account analysis
• General ledger account reconciliations with other supporting records
• Reconciling bank and investment accounts
• Accounts payable and check processing, including obtaining W-9s from vendors, tracking/ accumulating payments for 1099 generation through ADP, and remitting 1099s/1096
• Payroll processing, to include annual W-2 review/W-3 submission
• Budget to actual reporting and analysis of variances
• Preparing supplemental financial reports (Net Asset Rollforward and Investment Holdings Report)
• Coordinating with Gift Processing department as it relates to the monthly closing process
• Maintaining and updating procedures; streamlining processes
• Responding to requests from independent auditors
• Accumulating or generating information to be used in preparation of IRS Form 990
• Preparing annual report for workers compensation audit
• Monitoring Flexible Spending Account (FSA) bank account balance/activity
• Monitoring Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance through automated monthly scans; coordinating with the IT department when PCI-related issues arise and to renew PCI certificate (annually)
• Preparing and filing the Colorado Annual Report for Exempt Property (annually)
• Staying abreast of relevant nonprofit tax law changes and accounting pronouncements
• Providing guidance and direction to and supervising the accounting duties and responsibilities of the Human Resources Administrator and Accounting Assistant
• When and where appropriate, delegating accounting duties and activities described above to the Human Resources Administrator and Accounting Assistant
• Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in accounting preferred but not required
• CPA designation is preferred
• Minimum 4-6 years of experience in nonprofit accounting, accounts payable, and payroll
• Intermediate - Advanced computer skills required, including strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel
• Strong knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge is preferred
• Awareness of IRS rules and regulations which apply to employee compensation and nonprofit organizations, etc., and ability to recognize situations which have potential tax relevance
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong attention to detail with the ability to maintain confidentiality while demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness
• Significant organizational skills along with the ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently
• Initiative, strong worth ethic, and sound judgment
• Ability to work independently with minimal direction
• A proven ability to meet project deadlines
Submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references for full consideration.
No phone calls please.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers